The Boys, Part 1

{by Dera of Casablanca}

I’m driving home from Fiona’s school when she asks me this in a soft voice:

Fiona:  “Mom?  Did you ever like a boy when you were my age?”

Me: (thinking, “I loved boys in the womb.  By seven, I was already over this dating thing and ready to settle down.”)

“Yeah, I think so.”

Fiona:  “Were you ever afraid that he didn’t like you back?”

Me: (thinking, “There was little to no fear in my approach.  Capture, seize, and conquer.  Much easier.”)

“Sure.  Is there a boy that you like?”

Fiona:  (silence)

I adjust the rear-view mirror, and see the reddest face smiling back at me.  I have my answer.

Me:  “It’s okay.  You don’t have to be embarrassed.  Is it someone I know?”

Fiona:  (nods with her face buried in her hands)

Me:  “Fiona, do I have to guess every boy in our lives or are you going to tell me?”

Fiona:  “I’ll give you a guess.”

Me:  ”A ‘hint’?”

Fiona:  ”Mmm hmmm.

1.  He’s really smart.
2.  He has curly hair.
3.  His skin looks like your coffee.”

Neve:  “Oh, yeah.  So he’s from France?”

Fiona:  “Neve, shhh.  That’s not what France people look like.  He looks like he’s from Mexico except he’s not.  Maybe his grandma is from Mexico… (trailing off).”

(snapped back) “… and when he taught me how easy it is to count in one hundreds (100 + 100 = 200, 200 + 300 = 500, etc.), I remembered it.  I’ll always remember that.”  (So romantic.)

For the sake of their adorable little privacy, I won’t say his name.  But it’s a nice name.  And he is smart.  Like, he skipped a grade smart.  And he’s shy, like her.  And his skin does look like my coffee.  And even though I get a little queasy at the thought of my seven year old having these feelings already, I love that she chose him.

Most importantly, I love that she told me.

Neve: (snickering) “Fiona likes a boy.”

Me: “Oh, leave her alone.  It’s just a little seven year old crush.”

Fiona: (writing his name in the foggy car window) “No, mom.  It’s not a little crush.  It’s a huge crush.”

And there you have it.

Dera’s birds eye view of her family and transcription of their day to day life is nothing less than inspiring.
Subscribe to her musings here and read her original post here.

Featured by Story Editor Sara Sophia:: @sarasophia

19 Comments to “The Boys, Part 1”

1. Bret Kylan says:

I have read their dialog. It’s natural for them. It’s the symbol of friendship. Thanks for a good post.

• Diane

What a great way to do the O4Ls!! We just finished our last one for the year but now I am teptmed to put something together for the fun of it. It would be great to have one at the beginning of the school year and to put it together with some footage of the end of the year… a comparison of sorts for the year end review! The kids would love to watch themselves and see how much they have grown and advanced through the year.

2. carol says:

I love reading it.The conversation was natural for them.

3. The Boys, Part 1, first crushes on the boy whose skin looks like coffee http://t.co/aDIzIneh

4. how heart-achingly beautiful. So glad I discovered BOTH storybleed and Casablanca: catching two pigeons with one stone!

• dera says:

you’re so sweet! thanks, lady.

• Anes

I understand that Fiona proabbly lacks a firm grasp on the amount of time needed to devote to daily things, but don’t you feel guilty denying her the attention/time she craves? Are you an “unschooler” because it gives you the free time/lack of structure that you crave? Or is it truly in the best interest of your children? As a long time reader of your blog, I find it interesting that your children are seeking structure and more scheduled environments despite you having immersed them in an “unschooling” atmosphere.

5. It is awesome conversation and I love reading it. I am excited to read the boys part 2…

6. Galit Breen says:

Ohmyheart, first crushes spotted in our children – http://t.co/wogKVeNI by Casablanca on @StoryBleed

7. Kamilla Lecher says:

The Boys, Part 1 never fades.

8. Kia Snite says:

I enjoy reading the conversation in the boys part one. I will look for boys part two conversation.

9. Heidi19 says:

I love this post and i really enjoyed reading the conversation. Thanks for sharing this with us and i’m looking forward to read the boys part 2. Lol!

• Seat

What a wonderful snsahpot of Fiona’s week and her life. It’s great as a blogger to see her animated-her expression, how you and her interacted with the violin, hearing her explain the Hands-on equation. Actually even to hear Fiona’s voice after 18 months of fairly regularly following this blog is pretty nice.I particularly loved the ending.Thanks, JAcinda

10. Born27 says:

Their conversation is so cool to read! Kinda cute.. I like the part 1 but I love the part 2! Thanks for posting this!

11. DynnaLou says:

Actually, this is the first time I have read about this kind of conversation and for me, I definitely enjoyed it.. Makes me want to have more kids soon..LOL..

12. brein38 says:

This kind of conversation is very interesting, I can’t wait to read the second part….

13. jennifer says:

I love reading and this one is lovely interesting, I will book mark this one and wait for the part 2… :)

• Larisa

Since I still haven’t sorted an acocnut yet I couldn’t leave a comment but could you pass on to Fiona that the hot tub photo looks mighty inviting from where I am on a cold winters day in New Zealand. Perhaps this weekend we will organise a trip to the local hot pools! jacinda